Saturday, March 26, 2011

How to Pick a Personal Trainer

Q: What certification should I look for in a personal trainer?

Answer:

Most importantly, no certification will guarantee that someone is a great trainer. The information taught in almost all certifications is generally outdated and basic.

It is really up to the trainer to learn outside of the certification process. A good trainer will have a mentor (preferably many mentors) that has shown them how to successfully deal with many situations, train people efficiently and effectively, and how to design a great training program.

A good trainer should also possess critical thinking skills. They shouldn't simply do what all the other trainers are doing or copy workouts and exercises straight from a book or website.

If you are familiar with my training programs, you will know that they contain basic, no-fluff exercises. There's no standing on gym balls or other dangerous and relatively ineffective training methods. There is nothing in my programs that I can't justify. The trainer you choose should also be able to justify their exercise programs.

If I were picking a trainer, I'd insist on them meeting a very high level of criteria. After all, your trainer is in charge of your body and your health. You should demand a lot from your trainer. That's the only way your training will reach another level.

Feel free to email me for trainer recommendations throughout North America. I might be able to recommend someone for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment